Welcome

Welcome to the Ultimate American Racing Blog --- We hope that you enjoy our community that we have created for all kinds of American racing fans! Enjoy!


HIT Counter!

NASCAR Followers

Powered By Blogger

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Jimmie Johnson ready to attack new format in quest for No. 8

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Jimmie Johnson grinned and took the high road you'd expect of a seven-time NASCAR champion when asked about the newest evolution of the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series championship format. The path to the sport's most coveted trophy changed this week, but Johnson said he is again up for the challenge.

Three times (2006, 2010, 2016) the course to a championship has been modified immediately after Johnson won a championship. It's never stopped him from hoisting a trophy and perhaps only made the accomplishment more impressive.

"Our team has always been very good at adapting and winning championships in the various formats we've had; we take a little pride in that and certainly look forward to the new challenge that's ahead," said Johnson, driver of the No. 48 Lowe's Chevrolet. "I'm excited for the changes that are taking place in our sport.

"There's been a lot of collaboration among the key stakeholders in our sport to really find something that works for everyone. For our sport to evolve and keep up with the times, we needed to put some serious thought into it, and that's taken place. I think as the season gets started we'll understand and see how this will change how teams approach a race, approach a weekend."

It was a familiar refrain during the opening day of the annual Charlotte Motor Speedway NASCAR Media Tour. Drivers seemed genuinely pleased, even re-energized by the possibilities a new playoff format presents.

Beginning this season, races in all three of NASCAR's premier series will be broken up into three stages with points awarded to the top 10 drivers running at the conclusion of the first two stages in addition to the final checkered flag.

RELATED: Where does Jimmie call home?

"I watch these races, I live them in the seat and I've thought for a long time we needed something to break them up," said Clint Bowyer, who takes over the No. 14 Mobil 1 Ford for just-retired Tony Stewart. "So I really appreciate them not just doing that but really putting a lot of effort, a lot of resources and time and thought into creating these stages, because I think they took care of a lot of other things as well.

"It's going to protect that problem we've had, the one flaw I thought the Chase had. You can have a dominant team that dominated the whole season including the Chase and have one flat tire, one motor blow up completely out of their control and it wipes them out of the championship at the end of the year."

Drivers seemed to be in agreement throughout the opening day of press conferences.

And the reigning champ Johnson was not only completely open to the rule enhancements but also seemed genuinely impressed with the effort and thought that went into it. The idea that the sport continues to evolve and engage is something he -- and his fellow drivers -- appreciate.

For Johnson, winning a historic eighth trophy under a fourth different format is as much a badge of honor as another obstacle to overcome. Having to do it in yet another format only makes the challenge more intriguing.

"I'm so excited about the years to come and shooting for eight," Johnson said. "I can't believe where I'm at. It's so hard to get to this position. And at the same time, I'm playing with house money now.

"I'm really going to enjoy the years I have left in my career. I know I can win races, I know I should be a threat for more championships. And I really feel in my heart I can win eight. I'd like to do it with a smile on my face and have a good time."

"We take pride in winning through all these different formats and would take pride in winning this one."

Holly Cain/NASCAR.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY www.alltechbuzz.in